Our simple guide for SMEs getting started with apprenticeships

Each apprenticeship has a Standard (think of this as a curriculum) which covers the Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours that the apprentice will learn. You can find all the standards on the Institute for Apprenticeships’ Website or using the links below for the marketing and PR apprenticeships: · Marketing Assistant (Level 3) · Marketing Executive (Level 4) · Marketing Manager (Level 6) · PR and Communications Assistant (Level 4) · Junior Content Producer (Level 3) · Digital Marketer (Level 3)

We can advise on the right apprenticeship and level for the role you have in mind.

What are you committing to?

  • Having a genuine job role for the apprentice, paying and treating them fairly
  • Allowing them 20% of their time (one day a week for a full-time worker) for their studies
  • Supporting the apprentice during their studies by engaging in their learning, attending Quarterly Reviews with the Training Provider and providing opportunities within their job role to put their new Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours into practice.

How much will an apprentice cost?

The main cost is the apprentice's wage (there are set minimum wages) and the cost of the training which is shown on the standards e.g. £7,000 for a Marketing Assistant Apprenticeship.

You will be charged 5% of the cost of training (e.g. £350 for the Marketing Assistant apprenticeship). If you have less than 50 employees and your apprentice is under the age of 18, the government will fund 100% of your apprenticeship training.

The other costs are time:

1. Creating a job role/specification – we can advise on how to get this right

2. Recruiting and hiring the apprentice – you can place an advert on the Government service ‘Hire an Apprentice’ which is free and you can also use your normal recruitment processes

3. Getting set up on the apprenticeship platform. The government agency (the Education and Skills Funding Agency) has created some YouTube videos to help:

4. Giving the apprentice 20% of their working time for training. This must be in work time, and must be protected time. The other 80% of time, the apprentice is working for you in a real job.

What are the benefits?

Apprenticeships are very rewarding for both apprentices and their employers. Apprentices get to learn whilst they earn. Managers find that apprentices are motivated and enthusiastic, enjoy applying their new found knowledge, and grow in confidence and contribution to the company.

Where can I get more information?

The Government provides additional information and our Apprentice Lead, Charlotte Lestienne will be happy to answer questions (charlotte@marketingcollege.com).