The CIPR Advanced Certificate provides a basic knowledge and understanding of the theory and practice of PR in order to assist delegates in developing as efficient and effective PR executives.
The course involves investigating case histories in workshops with visiting practitioners and by reference to recommended texts. Students will also be expected to draw on information to build case histories, and find evidence for practical examples from a wide range of daily newspapers, the broadcast media, magazines, journals and specialist publications. They will also be required to create a diary of their professional development which they can carry forward throughout their working lives.
Delegates who hold the CIPR Internal Communication Certificate are exempt from the final unit of the Advanced Certificate and eligible for a 25% discount of the College course fee.
Applicants must be at least 21 years of age and:
- hold any UK degree;
- OR, have two years’ relevant full-time employment in PR, and five GCSEs grade C or above, one of which must be English Language;
- OR, have a LCCIEB Group Diploma in PR, PLUS one year’s relevant experience. NB: Equivalent qualifications are acceptable.
This course usually takes around 12 months to complete.
There are 3 units to this course.
Public Relations Fundamentals Mandatory
- Definitions of public relations models of PR practice
- How public relations differs from other areas of communication and specialist areas of PR practice
- The business, social, political and international contexts in which PR operates
- Introduction to basic communications theories and systems theory
Public Relations in Practice Mandatory
- Introduction to PR planning
- How to deploy a range of PR techniques
- Implications of social media for public relations in practice
Personal Skills & Development Mandatory
- Analysing and criticising theory and secondary data
- Understanding case studies as a research method, advantages and disadvantages
Assessment is by three written assessments: a critical reasoning test (2 essays of 1,500 words each), a planning assignment (campaign plan of 2,000 words plus supporting writing tasks of 800 words) and a critique (3,000 words).
What our students say
The advanced certificate has given me a fantastic grounding in PR. It is really important to understand the theory and history behind PR practice whilst in the early stages of your career, and the Advanced Certificate was the perfect vehicle to do so. The level of support received from my tutor and course leader was exceptional and it has been a truly rewarding experience that will no doubt benefit me in the future.
I decided to take the Advanced Certificate a year after finishing my undergraduate degree and I am pleased to say it has exceeded my expectations. My tutor is a top communicator who I believe instilled a mentality of quality output and best practice to the group. I have gained a solid theoretical understanding of the broad communications spectrum and vastly improved my writing and planning skills. My participation in the course was also a major factor in securing my current role in a PR agency by demonstrating my interest and commitment to the PR industry to my employers.
Other available courses:
We're here to assist!
If you have any questions about this course or would like confidential advice, please do not hesitate to get in touch: